About the role Airline, Agri-food, or Fashion industries often come to the top of your mind when talking about the responsibility of business activities on climate change, but more rarely the Media and Entertainment industry is mentioned. While producing, distributing and monetizing content do in fact contribute to the emission of greenhouse gases as well, and because as a media we do have a role to play to raise awareness and educate about the environmental crisis.
At RTL Netherlands, sustainable development is an important topic, and we have started to actively address this strategic and crucial issue since 2020, influencing more and more the way we do business. Together with the various business units within RTL, we collect data to gain insights into our carbon emissions, with the aim of defining a data-driven strategic action plan to become carbon neutral by 2030. And that goes further than TV only… Besides our linear channels on TV, which include RTL 4 and RTL 5, we are working on sustainability of our digital products, such as Videoland, RTL XL, Buienradar and RTL Nieuws.
And that is not all, as other areas we focus on are the production of the content we broadcast, the advertisements we air, emissions that come from our own operations and facilities. WE also work on the editorial and storytelling side to change the way we address the environmental topic within our content. What will you do By working on sustainability within RTL, you will work with stakeholders of various departments, which will provide you with a broad understanding of our business operations.
During your internship, you will:
- Analyze market trends and competitors: carbon reduction strategies, communication, product approach…
- Collect data and conduct analyses to measure the carbon footprint of RTL Netherlands products
- Work on carbon reduction strategies with various business units of RTL, taking into account the varying business operations and needs of the departments
- Drive the implementation of the sustainable initiatives
- Work with the content and editorial teams on various projects to embed the environmental topic within our shows
- Work on internal communication to improve awareness and engagement among RTL employees
- Interact with external vendors to collaborate on sustainable development
- Work with international stakeholders by participating in the RTL Group Climate Task Force
- Work in an agile environment driving change and influencing senior level